Free Handwriting Fonts

I have been contemplating spending $40 to order the Startwrite Software. We do use Handwriting without Tears workbooks for most of our handwriting needs, but the reality is, my kids always need more practice on some letters than these books allow for. Also, in keeping with the Charlotte Mason method, I would prefer them to practice their handwriting skills on sentences from great literature; lines from amazing poems, or from the stories we read on a daily basis. I figured Startwrite would be perfect as it would allow me to make custom handwriting sheets.

Still, deciding to spend $40 (for a homeschooling family on a tight budget), is something that needs to be carefully considered. Do I really need to spend that money? The answer, to my own disappointment, is a resounding no! But it is so tempting to want to buy education things we think we “need.”

So, my dear husband, knowing what I was looking for, decided to help me out. He began an internet search and found these free handwriting fonts: Cursive and Manuscript. And, AND they have the lines!!! This is very important. Kudos to Donna Young for finding and posting them to her site!

Now I can use Word to make as many sheets as I like, and have the kids copy the great literature I was hoping for. All for free! You can’t beat that.

About these ads

8 Comments

1. I have a suggestion to help with the budget thing.

Wal-Mart has these great composition books that are half blank and half lined (the large lines for early elementary).
    So, in keeping with the CM method, you can use Aesop’s Fables for writing practice. If you have the kids put the title on the first line, skip a line and the write the moral of the story, skip a line and then put the date, it is one to one (one fable to one page).
    This would give practice with writing both numbers and letters – – and it is short enough (one sentence usually) AND fits with the CM curriculum and method.

2. Oh, and I forgot to add….

You can use this for both cursive and print….AND you can use the top to illustrate if you want.

Also, since kids usually write pretty hard, if you cut a piece of cardboard that fits the size of the book, they can use the “front” of each page (with the cardboard right behind that page) to write and it keeps all the pages behind that free of pencil indentions.

3. Becky

/  August 25, 2008

But can they trace the letters like that, or just look at them and try to copy? I want them to be able to trace at first. If you format these fonts, you can make them hollow for tracing.

Those books do sound ideal for nature notebooks though!

4. Nope, they can’t trace the letters. Both the print and cursive examples are on the back of the front cover – – so it would be a copy thing.
    That is a great idea – – the hollow for tracing!!

I actually got another book for Boo, just for Nature Study – – but, we haven’t managed to get to Nature Study. :(

Oh, and I have to say, I read through your blog – – then posted and then read it again later. When I read it the second time, I noticed that I had somehow missed something (not sure how) – – and had completely misunderstood what you wrote. UGH! Sometimes I am a complete retard. Please forgive.

5. Beth J

/  August 25, 2008

These look cool! I’ll have to check it out.

6. Anonymous

/  November 14, 2012

Oh thank you so much for posting these fonts! I too am on a tight budget. I printed off the HWT free abc sheets on how to form the letter, but I would like to make my own copywork. Thank you!

7. This piece of writing is really a pleasant one it helps new net visitors, who
    are wishing in favor of blogging.

8. Everything is very open with a really clear explanation of
    the issues. It was definitely informative.
    Your website is very helpful. Thanks for sharing!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Storytime with John

pull up and listen...I've got a funny one for ya...

The Vulgar Chef

Food News, Reviews, Rants, and Raves. #EatLikeShit

browneyedgirldotcom

One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.~ William Feather

Im ashamed to die until i have won some victory for humanity.(Horace Mann)

Domenic/havau22.com / IF YOU CAN'T BE THE POET, BE THE POEM (David Carradine) LIFE IS NOT A REHERSAL,SO LIVE IT.

Fevered Crenellations

Short stories, memoirs, and thoughts to get me thinking about eventually writing a book.

Lilting Lilies

Lk 12:22-34

beerelevance

Craft Beer

N.A.S.H. - National Alliance of Secular Homeschoolers

The vision of The National Alliance of Secular Homeschoolers is to advance the recognition of secular education in the homeschooling community and to support academically secular homeschoolers. Through the activities and involvement of N.A.S.H. at the national, state, and local levels, secular homeschoolers will have a stronger, significantly influential voice in the world of homeschooling.

Confessions Of A Super Mom Drop Out

Wife, Mom, Secular Homeschooler

nhoward1882

4 out of 5 dentists recommend this WordPress.com site

Lisa's Missing Kidney

My life with Stage IV Renal Cell Carcinoma

Shadow Hills Church

The Happenings At The Hills

Love and a Six-Foot Leash

One family's adventures with America's forgotten dogs.

fit4365

Year 3 building consistency

The Neorevivalist

Aperi oculos tuos et sequetur cerebrum

The Adventures of Fanny P.

...because life is just one big adventure...

Catherine, Caffeinated

Writer, astronaut, skinny - Catherine Ryan Howard wouldn't mind being any of those things.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 328 other followers