Free Handwriting Fonts

I have been contemplating spending $40 to order the Startwrite Software. We do use Handwriting without Tears workbooks for most of our handwriting needs, but the reality is, my kids always need more practice on some letters than these books allow for. Also, in keeping with the Charlotte Mason method, I would prefer them to practice their handwriting skills on sentences from great literature; lines from amazing poems, or from the stories we read on a daily basis. I figured Startwrite would be perfect as it would allow me to make custom handwriting sheets.

Still, deciding to spend $40 (for a homeschooling family on a tight budget), is something that needs to be carefully considered. Do I really need to spend that money? The answer, to my own disappointment, is a resounding no! But it is so tempting to want to buy education things we think we “need.”

So, my dear husband, knowing what I was looking for, decided to help me out. He began an internet search and found these free handwriting fonts: Cursive and Manuscript. And, AND they have the lines!!! This is very important. Kudos to Donna Young for finding and posting them to her site!

Now I can use Word to make as many sheets as I like, and have the kids copy the great literature I was hoping for. All for free! You can’t beat that.

About these ads

6 Comments

1. I have a suggestion to help with the budget thing.

Wal-Mart has these great composition books that are half blank and half lined (the large lines for early elementary).
    So, in keeping with the CM method, you can use Aesop’s Fables for writing practice. If you have the kids put the title on the first line, skip a line and the write the moral of the story, skip a line and then put the date, it is one to one (one fable to one page).
    This would give practice with writing both numbers and letters – - and it is short enough (one sentence usually) AND fits with the CM curriculum and method.

2. Oh, and I forgot to add….

You can use this for both cursive and print….AND you can use the top to illustrate if you want.

Also, since kids usually write pretty hard, if you cut a piece of cardboard that fits the size of the book, they can use the “front” of each page (with the cardboard right behind that page) to write and it keeps all the pages behind that free of pencil indentions.

3. Becky

/  August 25, 2008

But can they trace the letters like that, or just look at them and try to copy? I want them to be able to trace at first. If you format these fonts, you can make them hollow for tracing.

Those books do sound ideal for nature notebooks though!

4. Nope, they can’t trace the letters. Both the print and cursive examples are on the back of the front cover – - so it would be a copy thing.
    That is a great idea – - the hollow for tracing!!

I actually got another book for Boo, just for Nature Study – - but, we haven’t managed to get to Nature Study. :(

Oh, and I have to say, I read through your blog – - then posted and then read it again later. When I read it the second time, I noticed that I had somehow missed something (not sure how) – - and had completely misunderstood what you wrote. UGH! Sometimes I am a complete retard. Please forgive.

5. Beth J

/  August 25, 2008

These look cool! I’ll have to check it out.

6. Anonymous

/  November 14, 2012

Oh thank you so much for posting these fonts! I too am on a tight budget. I printed off the HWT free abc sheets on how to form the letter, but I would like to make my own copywork. Thank you!