Crockpot Meatloaf & Potatoes

I have to tell you, if it were not for my crockpot, I don’t think we would be eating home-cooked meals as often as we do.  Well, maybe that’s not true, but I would definitely be more grumpy because I truly despise having to cook after a long day, especially knowing that I have hours of homework ahead of me.  The crockpot is truly a busy mom’s best friend, and even more so for a busy homeschooling mom!

Meatloaf and potatoes is one of my family’s favorite meals.  You can very easily make it in the crock pot and let it cook all day while you get other things accomplished.  This meal is easy to reduce for smaller families, or single people as well, just use a smaller crock pot.  I use my ginormous one, of course!

Make your meatloaf however you typically make it.  If you don’t have a recipe you already love, here is an easy base recipe (I make it different every time, based on what I have. In the picture below I added diced onion.  I usually add chopped tomato):

2.5 pounds of ground turkey (or beef, if you prefer)

1 egg

3/4  cup smashed cornflakes (or bread crumbs, but I prefer corn flakes)

1 envelope of Lipton onion soup mix

2-3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

salt, pepper, paprika, garlic salt, Italian seasoning to taste.

Mix the ingredients well and form a “loaf” in the bottom of your crock pot.

Then, wash 5-6 small-medium potatoes, prick them with a knife or fork, and wrap them in foil.  Place them around the meatloaf.  Cook for 8-10 hours on low.  You do not need to add water, and wrapping the potatoes is optional (I just like them to have their own flavor at the end of the day).

040

There is something about roasting the meatloaf and potatoes all day that really gives this meal a savory and delicious flavor.  It tastes like your regular meatloaf, only better.  The potatoes get very golden and buttery tasting even without the butter.  Serve it up with a favorite veggie or salad.  I hope you try it soon and enjoy!

This post is really old!  To see my latest, super-healthy, veggie-loaded meatloaf recipe, click here!  This new recipe is perfect for those following  low carb, paleo, or Trim Healthy Mama diets!

About these ads
Previous Post

215 Comments

1. Beth C.

/  November 6, 2009

Pretty sure we have the same crockpot. ;) Also, I LOVE mine when I used it, but need to do so more often! Especially now that it’s getting colder… makes it so cozy in the house. :)

2. Fawn

/  November 6, 2009

Ahhhhh…..perfect timing! I was just about to make my grocery list. I have never done meatloaf in the crock pot but its been on my mind. Thanks! Oh yeah….I wanna hear about disney! And…how are the homeschooling laws in vegas? I think that is where you said you were moving too. I know you have looked them up. Have a great weekend!

3. Sarah

/  November 7, 2009

This looks uh-mazing. I’m going to try this for monday’s dinner. I, too, love my crockpot. =)

4. alisha

/  May 3, 2013

Can you put it on medium heat? Still taste and look good?

5. Jackie

/  July 30, 2013

sounds so good how much paprika and garlic salt do you use ?

6. Cindy

/  August 11, 2013

my husband loves meatloaf cooked with ketchup on top, I wonder how well that would work.

• did you try this with the ketchup? this is how I make mine

/  January 19, 2014

I do not, but I am not a ketchup on meatloaf kinda girl. Go crazy!

/  January 20, 2014

I don’t know if you have tried it yet but if you haven’t please don’t. Ketchup will eat through the foil and make it toxic.

• A common use of aluminum foil is covering foods, however anything acidic can dissolve the foil, including ketchup and icing.Brine will degrade the integrity of Aluminium over time, and will eventually disintegrate it, however, this is not a quick process and can take many years, if not centuries.There are likely some forms of protazoa which can “eat” through Aluminium but again, it is not something that would happen quickly.

• I always make my meatloaf in the crockpot w/ketchup (or BBQ sauce) on top. Cooks up just fine. Never have done foiled potatoes, but if it’s a problem, you might want to do the potatoes without foil.

/  January 25, 2014

Put Baby Ray sauce on top. Great.

7. Amy Brennan

/  August 13, 2013

Could I try with meat substitute? (Morning Star crumbles)

/  November 18, 2013

I have no idea…sorry!

/  January 17, 2014

I don’t think Morning star crumbles would hold together but shouldn’t affect the taste if it falls apart. :-)

/  January 18, 2014

My son is a vegan. I have a list of egg replaces if you like to have a copy, made him meatloaf every time we have it, would take 2bags of crumbles

8. Carol T in Southampton, NJ

/  August 24, 2013

I tried this yesterday with my own meatloaf recipe and I found my meatloaf to be very dry. I cooked it on low for 9 hours. I think I will try your recipe the next time. The 1/4 cup of worcestershire sauce that you use probably would have made the difference. The potatoes were awesome cooked this way.

9. Anonymous

/  September 6, 2013

Will the meat stick to the crock pot ?

10. Joyce dale

/  September 6, 2013

Mix a tablespoon or two of salsa or ketchup with tablespoon of brown sugar, put on top of meatloaf. Makes a lovely sweet sticky crust and seals even more juices in your meat..old trick we used in the kitchens…retired chef 40 years….try it.

/  January 19, 2014

I have been using 1/2 ketchup and 1/2 brown sugar as a glaze over my meatloaf for years…..keeps the meat moist and tastes so yummy!!!

• Debbi

This is how they make it at the Cracker Barrel resturants! Is goo too

/  January 20, 2014

We also use ketsup and brown sugar. Usually we put that on the meatloaf and throw it under the broiler for a few minutes. Soooooo good!!

11. can u do it with the meatloaf frozen ???

12. Brandi

/  November 18, 2013

What if you want to add some sort of ketchup on top, Would you add it the whole time, or maybe near the end? or doing that in the crockpot would be a bad idea?

13. Is there any chance I could cook it on med/high? If so would it come out difference and would the time change on how long it cooks for? Or start it on low and move it to med later in the day?

/  January 16, 2014

I have no idea, but let me know how it works out for you!

/  January 25, 2014

Yes you can..Actually, I cook all my meals on high..It only takes half the time and comes out just as well..:)

14. Kimberly

/  January 3, 2014

When I cook my meatloaf it has a lot of grease in the bottom of the pan. I cook it lifted up on a grill so the grease is drained underneath. When cooked in the crockpot, does it sit in the grease? I love all crockpot recipes and this would be awesome but have been afraid to try meatloaf.

/  January 16, 2014

I have not noticed that mine is particularly greasy, but I also usually use ground turkey. When I use beef, I use cauliflower as a bread crumb, so I think it just soaks up. You can also use a cooking rack in your crock pot!

• Susan

/  January 21, 2014

I am a celiac & I never heard of using cauliflower as bread crumbs, going to try this for sure I love croc. pot cooking…. Thanks… I also will use brown sugar & ketcup for the top :-)

/  January 17, 2014

it will cost a little extra but lean ground beef with low amt of fat will not cause the grease issue

/  January 20, 2014

You can also put celery stalks in the bottom to lift the meat up…

/  January 24, 2014

That’s an ingenious idea about the celery! Although I don’t know if the flavor of the celery would absorb into the meatloaf. Wouldn’t like that very much.

• Julie Willett

/  January 25, 2014

I take potatoes and make thick lengthwise slices and put them in the bottom of the crock and put the meatloaf on top of the potatoes. This keeps the meatloaf out of
      any grease that might collect and still keeps the meatloaf moist. Then, discard the potatoes.

15. Anonymous

/  January 10, 2014

Dose It Matter What The Size The Crockpot, Because I Have A
    Large Crockpot That I Cook A Turkey In It.

/  January 16, 2014

Probably not a big deal, but you may need to adjust your cooking time. Try and keep an eye on things!

16. Anonymous

/  January 14, 2014

ITALIAN BREAD CRUMBS WORK REALLY WELL

17. Connie

/  January 16, 2014

I would think cooking aluminum all day won’t be good for you, right?

18. Anonymous

/  January 16, 2014

Maybe put the potatoes on the bottom and the meatloaf can drain the fat below? I’m going to try it!

/  January 16, 2014

If the meatloaf is really sturdy, that might work. Let me know how it goes.

/  January 17, 2014

this would make it to dry… I would think….

/  January 17, 2014

It has never been too dry for me, but try cooking it a little shorter, like 7 hours if you are worried.

• Julie Willett

/  January 25, 2014

If you plan on eating the potatoes, I wouldn’t put them on the bottom. j They will absorb all the fat that you’re trying to avoid. I have tried lifting my meatloaf off the bottom by placing balls of aluminum foil – I found that it conducts too much heat and burns into the meatloaf. No bueno. Try taking thick slices of potatoes and lning the bottom of your crock and putting the meatloaf on top. The potatoes draw out the fat and absorb the grease, but still leave the meat loaf moist. Discard the potato layer.

19. sound delicious might try it love meat loaf

20. Anonymous

/  January 16, 2014

Mine is pre-made and ready to go… meatloaf is in the fridge and potatoes are poked and wrapped in foil. I’ll load the crock pot at 3:00 am and well eat by noon… Excited for lunch!! Thank You So Much…

21. jachooz

/  January 17, 2014

I see so many crock pot recipes I want to try….. but I heard that you must have some sort of liquid with whatever your cooking or it can Crack the crock pot? I have been afraid to try some because of this. Has anyone else heard that?

• beth

/  January 18, 2014

I have cooked baked potatoes (in alum. foil) in the crockpot before and it never cracked. I think it should be ok.

/  January 18, 2014

I make this recipe every couple of months and have never once cracked my crock pot.

• Wendy

/  January 21, 2014

I’ve cooked several things in the crock pot with no liquid in the bottom – had my crock pot for years!! It just depends on what you are cooking if you want to add liquid or not. Some meats, i.e. meatloaf, will make their own “liquid” so you don’t have to add any.

22. Melanie

/  January 17, 2014

I wrap my meatloaf in Bacon and it is YUMMY!!!

23. Anonymous

/  January 17, 2014

Don’t cook a lot but is the Italian seasoning in a packet or is it some sort of salad dressing? Is there any particular brand you use? Thanks for posting this.

/  January 17, 2014

The Italian seasoning I use is a spice mix with oregano and basil, etc. You will find it with all the spices in your grocery store baking aisle.

• You can buy bread crumbs with Italian seasoning already in it. That is what I use.

24. It’s not safe to cook raw meat with anything else,,, especially beef regardless if the potato is wrapped or not…

/  January 17, 2014

If that were true, no one would be cooking in a crock pot, ever. The definition of crock pot cooking means raw meat + other items. This comment confuses me.

• FullofCrocktooMe

/  January 25, 2014

It’s not safe to touch everything like door knobs, shopping carts, or anything that other peeps touch in public places with our hands(but we do it)…lol I agree with Becky. Why would they make Crock pot if we can’t put anything raw to begin with. Can’t imagine putting anything already cooked beforehand.

• no it is not safe to store raw meat with anything else…..How do you think stews are cooked….omg cant cook raw meat with anything else is the weirdest thing i have ever heard…there goes my steak and mushrooms yes i cook my mushrooms with my steak at the same time, my stew i brown my meat only slightly if i have time sometimes it just goes straight into the pot, along with all the veg you can think of…i have been doing this for years and so have millions of other people and we are still alive….

• Jane

/  January 20, 2014

What in the world does that mean?? How do you make any food that contains meat then? Cook the meat first? I really think that this person meant something else but said something different? So funny!!

25. Christine Neufeld

/  January 18, 2014

That comment is confusing, that would also include all soups, stews, and anything you add to your meat to flavour it while cooking. As long as the items are cooked to the proper temperature and stored properly they are safe to eat.

26. Abuela

/  January 18, 2014

I haven’t cooked yet. But loved the different opinions.

27. Pam

/  January 18, 2014

Instead of cornflakes, bread crumbs, etc. I use a cup of oatmeal for one pound of meat. I only use a couple of teaspoons of worcestershire sauce and a 15 oz. can of tomato sauce and one egg to help it stick together. I’ve also made it Mexican style with taco season package instead of the onion soup mix.

• Pam I use about the same recipe and too much Worcestershire gives it that taste take it from cooking instructors and years of cooking many meals an accidental overload of this can make taste of meatloaf a bitter taste it doesn’t taste like the meat anymore overly seasoning can take the taste out of the food your cooking.

• FullofCrocktooMe

/  January 25, 2014

I used crackers before in replace of breadcrumbs if bread isn’t available just to make it stick better. I’ve used flatbread italian herb cracker,cheese nips, keebler club crackers, frosted flakes cereals, raisin bran cereal, or anything you can smash and crumble. I make do with whatever i have or don’t have at that specific time just to make meatloaf stick better! Flatbread crisp crackers is one of my favorite because of the Italian seasoning. I still have other spices that I include like lipton soup mix or taco mix, or anything that adds flavor to it. I like to think outside the box. It’s okay to be creative.

28. Linda

/  January 18, 2014

With all the other spices What does the onion soup mix give except an onion taste? Santa got me a Ninga 3 in one cooker. I’m lost on roasting,steaming part of the slow cooker… any ideas or recipes would be great. My crock pot is old like 30 yrs I use the bags for very easy clean up but can’t find any recipes ideas a meat (BEEF) an potatoe guy would eat.

/  January 18, 2014

I just really love the flavor of the onion soup mix and it makes it taste more like beef for me as well. I plan to post more recipes, but if you really need ideas, you should check out crockpot365.blogspot.com

/  January 21, 2014

I love my Ninja 3 in 1!!!! We use it nearly every day.

29. Sounds great and fast.

30. Anonymous

/  January 18, 2014

I too have the problem with fat draining off my meatloaf and don’t have a rack for my crockpot. Any ideas for how I could improvise??

/  January 18, 2014

My only suggestion is to use leaner meat. This really is delish with turkey!

/  January 20, 2014

put celery stalks in the bottom under the meat loaf

• gittinold2

/  January 26, 2014

ground turkey can be just at fatty as any other ground meat. You have to watch the fat content.

/  January 20, 2014

Place a piece or two of bread under the meatloaf and it will soak up the grease. I saw that tip on the food network and it work for me.

/  January 20, 2014

Lay 3-4 carrot or celery sticks underneath to create a sort of “rack”. I do this when roasting chicken and it also adds to the taste.

31. Anonymous

/  January 18, 2014

Make a ring with aluminum foil and set the meatloaf on rio of it.

32. Our meatloaf is actually a weight watchers recipe my mom got years ago and my family loves it – it has lean ground beef, 1 can drained diced tomatoes, oatmeal (1/3 cup per 1 pound of ground beef) – and 1/2 cup dried milk (per pound of ground beef) . . . has a great flavor . . . and low calories are ALWAYS good!! I have to try this with the potatoes in the crock pot!! I have 3 crockpots I rotate almost every day. With three kids very active in school and sporting events – I use my crockpots OFTEN!!!! THanks for sharing these ideas!!!!

33. doesnt the meat get greasy

/  January 19, 2014

Not at all! Turkey has very little fat. Also, very lean ground beef works well.

34. suzi

/  January 19, 2014

No matter how it is cooked, the key is lean meat..our butcher has a meat loaf mix..1lb lean beef, half lb each pork,Turkey.. then what ever your favorite recipes calls for..yum

35. the potatoes won’t get greasy from the meat fat?

36. Anonymous

/  January 19, 2014

Any idea where I can buy a rack that would fit a crock pot? I am just learning to really use my crock and am starting to love all meals cooked in it.

37. Is there a certain type of rack for a crock pot or can you use anything that would fit securely

/  January 19, 2014

Cuisinart sells a rack for slow cookers…for their model, of course, but it might just work!

• I wonder if you can just use one of those little metal vegetable steamers that fan out.

/  January 19, 2014

Those curve up (at least the ones I have seen). But you could always give it a shot.

38. What size crock pot did you use for this meal?

39. Why wrap the potatoes in foil anyway? Do they cook too fast without it? I never wrap them when I bake them in the oven; you get steamed potatoes instead of baked potatoes. Thanks!

40. Becky I absolutely love this and wish I had seen it yesterday :-( Just made 3, one for dinner, one for freezer and one for daughter to take back home with her lol. The next time I make meatloaf I WILL be trying this. To all the nay-sayers, if it’s not for you, just don’t do it lol. To those wondering about the crock pot rack. The idea above making a ring of aluminum foil works. Thanks again for sharing this yummy looking and sounding recipe!. God bless.

/  January 19, 2014

Thank you! This post has gone so viral I can barely keep up. I appreciate the kind words!

• and the onion soup mix is a great addition to any beef recipe :-) Also I use 1 lb. deer meat and 1 lb. ground beef. Deer meat is much drying so if using only deer meat you need extra liquid, using 1 lb of each seems to give it the perfect consistency. Thanks again.

41. Anonymous

/  January 19, 2014

Try using small can of tomato sauce (I use “no salt” delmonte or Hunts)instead of worsterchere sauce. (must less sodium). I also use 1 egg per 1 lb of chopped meat. and pour tomato sauce on top of meat loaf as well. This in addition to above recipe.

42. Melissa

/  January 19, 2014

I have tried meat loaf in the crock pot twice and each time it was disgusting. Each time it came out as mush because it basically cooked and soaked in the burger fat all day. If this hasn’t happened to anyone else please share your secret. Thanks.

Use lean meat.

• Denise

/  January 24, 2014

I recently tried doing the meatloaf in the crock pot and we love it here!! Course, my recipe is different. I put milk in it and cheese, lots of cheese!!! Then when it is almost done, I cover it with cheese slices. I have never done the potatoes in there tho so will be trying it next time for sure!!

43. Emmy

/  January 19, 2014

I will definately be trying this recipe!!!

44. Anxious to try this but. Do I have to use foil? Thanks

/  January 19, 2014

Give it a try! I always do, but that doesn’t mean this can’t be flexible.

45. Do you add water to this recipe? Looks so good!

46. Judy

/  January 19, 2014

Just curious…not sure , does the meatloaf have a aluminum foil taste after laying on top for 8-10 hours?? Would the potatoes have to go in foil or do you think they would come out just laying them on top??

/  January 19, 2014

I don’t cook my meatloaf on foil, just wrap the potatoes. But there is never a foil taste on either.

47. Brenda

/  January 19, 2014

I am going to try and cook my potatoes without any foil on them and see how they turn out. I’ll let you know. :)

48. I love this and I cannot wait to try it.

49. sherrie

/  January 19, 2014

Does the hamburger get brown on the inside, or does it still appear pink even though it may be done?

50. chris

/  January 19, 2014

i use stove top stuffing herb mix gives a great flavor

51. Do you add any water to it?

52. Janet

/  January 19, 2014

For something a little different, add 1 -2 boxes of uncooked Stove Top Stuffing instead of cracker crumbs or oatmeal to your meat loaf.Its yummy!!

53. Why put the potatoes in foil?

54. Anonymous

/  January 19, 2014

I quit using regular hamburger for anything years ago. I finally realized that I was ending up with about half the meat I thought I had after I poured off the grease, so was saving no money. Now use ground sirloin, ground turkey or mix deer burger with ground round for my recipes. Will try this for supper tomorrow. Thanks!

55. Shannon Hunter

/  January 20, 2014

I enjoy your recipe Would some more recipe plus I the crockpot cooking too

56. Joanne

/  January 20, 2014

Id love to try this, but want to make sure I got this right. You need NO water at all? Ive never attempted to cook something in the slow coker without water. In fact, i just made a roast last week with too little water that it started to stick to the bottem abd get hard. This wont happen to the meatloaf? Isnt it the “steam” that cooks it? Maybe im wrong. I love my crockpot and so amazed at the recipes i do find.

/  January 20, 2014

No water! Ground meats are really different from a roast. I make meatloaf in my crock regularly and have been for years…it works!

57. Cresada Barnett

/  January 20, 2014

Looks so good and so simple to make. Can’t wait to try it.

58. try 2 lb beef or turkey, splash of Worcestershire sauce and box of stove top stuffing(cook stuffing as directed on box then add to meat and 1 egg. great flavor

59. lori

/  January 20, 2014

Do I need to add any liquid to the meatloaf and potatoes in the crockpot??

60. Anonymous

/  January 20, 2014

I love and use my crockpot all the time! so happy to find a meatloaf recipie! I make my with breadcrumbs and salsa with a couple of strips of bacon(if I have some) on top

61. Jackie

/  January 20, 2014

We like turkey meatloaf and often make one that only has 4 ingredients. It is the first easy recipe I teach my grand kids when they want to learn to cook and I am wondering if it will work in the crock-pot with the potatoes as you suggest…

Easy Turkey Meatloaf
    1 egg (beaten)
    1 pound ground turkey ( I do not use lean ground turkey in this)
    1 can French onion soup mix
    1 box Stove Top Turkey dressing mix

Just beat egg and add the soup mix. Mix well then add the stove top stuffing and mix well again and last add your ground turkey.

Mix well and shape into a loaf. This recipe can be baked at 350 for about 45 minutes to an hour…depending on your oven. I do cover mine with foil while baking and remove foil the last 15 minutes.

I have been thinking of trying this in the crock pot with the potatoes as you suggest. I will have to play with the time though as I have never tried it this way….

Thank you for the wonderful suggestion.

62. Anonymous

/  January 20, 2014

do you have to put aluminum foil around potatoes or does it make a difference

63. curtis

/  January 20, 2014

wouldn’t the tinfoil give the meatloaf an aluminium taste?

64. NATALIE

/  January 20, 2014

TAKE 2 TO 3 SLICES OF BREAD … RUN WATER OVER IT SQUEEZE THE WATER OUT AND SMEAR THIS IN WITH THE HAMBURGER … MAKES A MOIST MEAT LOAF

65. Dani

/  January 20, 2014

Has anyone done this on high instead of low? Does it still work as good? Do the potatoes get done?

/  January 20, 2014

The problem with cooking on high is the meat tends to burn a bit and the potatoes dob’t always cook through.

66. Anonymous

Iuse A-1 instead worcestershire sauce

67. Jennifer Owens

/  January 20, 2014

does the tin from the foil make the meat taste tinny?? Just wondering

/  January 20, 2014

Mine never does, but apparently ketchup will cause foil to dissolve and leave behind a taste.

68. Anonymous

/  January 20, 2014

Has anyone tried putting the meat in a loaf tin in the crock pot? I’ve seen cake recipes using a loaf tin. I’ve never used one in my crock pot and I’m curious.

69. don holley

/  January 20, 2014

Only saw one person mention using tomatoes instead of ketchup, my Mom always used tomatoes, but I think she used stewed tomatoes which would add quite a bit of flavor. Don’t remember if she drained them or not, but if you were worried about the meat drying out not draining the tomatoes would add more than enough liquid to prevent drying out. You do not need to add much liquid to a crock pot, don’t think I have ever used more than a 1/4 cup for anything.The rolled aluminum thing works great for raising up a whole ham also, used about three and bent them into a U shape. Good Luck to all, take care.

70. I didn’t read all the comments so maybe this was mentioned, but a friend told me to put a slice or two of toasted bread under meatloaf when you cook it and it soaks up all the grease. It works beautifully!

71. mardip

/  January 21, 2014

try placing thick slices of onion underneath the meatloaf, will stop it from sticking, and adds to the gravy. Also would use baking paper instead of aluminium foil, to avoid the aluminium connection with Alzheimers…

72. Gale Ferguson

/  January 21, 2014

I’m gonna try this very soon

73. my2cents

/  January 21, 2014

I have made crockpot meatloaf for many years but this is what I do:
    use as many small potatoes as you need to cover the bottom of your crockpot, doesn’t need to be perfect just as even a base as u can get it, pour a little water mixed with beef boullion over them, to only about 1/2 way up the potatoes. make ur meatloaf (I like using a seasoning packet like McCormick) and set it on top of the potatoes & cook either on low all day or about 5 hrs on high if you have less time.
    the meat is tender & moist & yes we eat the potatoes although I usually make more on the stove. I mostly use the ones in the pot like a meat “rack”.

74. Would this work with sweet potatoes too?

75. Anonymous

/  January 21, 2014

I use half hamburger and half mild sausage, oatmeal instead of bread crumbs, and NO egg. I think the egg makes the meatloaf dry. I also mix a little ketchup into the meatloaf, use chopped bell peppers and onion. Ketchup on top. Everybody LOVES my meatloaf. I would use a crumpled foil “ring” or a layer of celery, carrots or whatever on the bottom to drain the grease. Have been cooking meatloaf in the crockpot for years, and it’s always perfect.

76. Anonymous

/  January 21, 2014

i cant wait 2 try this my boys are crazy about my meatloaf i will let you know how they feel about this 1

77. I am trying this tomorrow night! Sounds so yummy. I am going to use italian bread crumbs that I use for chicken parmesan. YUMMY!!!

78. Anonymous

/  January 21, 2014

Just started this… figured I’d start at ‘high’ to heat things up and then drop the temp since I’d like it done closer to 5 hours…. also… froze 1/2 the meatloaf for another time and fewer potatoes. For anyone who thinks it’s dry this way… I added 4 oz of chicken broth and an extra egg. Will help keep it moist!

79. I have always used 1 cup oatmeal and a teaspoon of mustard , chopped onion , cup of milk and a beaten egg. Salt and pepper I have been having this meatloaf for years. I will have to try yours sounds good.

80. David

/  January 21, 2014

Can I add carrots to this recipe? I prefer pano crumbs better. Very light.

81. Celiac people — we use cooked grits and uncooked gluten free oats for binding all the time. Cooked grits work well with salmon patties, for example. Haven’t tried them with meatloaf.

• Susan

/  January 27, 2014

As a very sensitive celiac oatmeal even if says gluten free is a BIG no-no chances of cross contamination is really to great a chance I took couple times :-( not good. Don’t know about grits but I use Lays potato chips (Lays brand are gluten-free) in any recipe calling for crackers or bread crumbs. Works great for coating chicken and etc. but I’m going to try the cauliflower as suggested in here, going to try ranch dry mix (its gluten-free) instead of Lipton onion mix (which contains gluten)

82. Does the meatloaf not get too cooked and fall apart? I find for instance whenever I cook spagetti meat sauce, by the end of the day the meat has almost disintegrated

83. Sue

/  January 22, 2014

I always use the Reynolds slow cooker liners, so minimal clean up. I also use oatmeal instead of crackers or breadcrumbs because it is healthier. Good recipe. Thanks.

84. sounds so yummy and easy…thanks for sharing.

85. Nikki

/  January 22, 2014

So true! I have just learned how to cook in a crock pot. Now we actually have dinners at night! When I don’t have dinner in there . Then it’s a whatever night or we end up eating out! So I live my crockpot! Have found so many Awsome recipes too! Some not so good ones too!
    I will defiantly try this one:). Thank you :)

86. Anonymous

/  January 22, 2014

Does the meatloaf get done in the middle? I can’t stand pink meat.

87. I put a can of rotel tomatoes in mind and cut up chunks of cheese

88. Stovetop stuffing is great for the bread crumbs!!!!

89. Looks like a great idea! Some details please!!! I have a 6 quart oblong cooker w/ removable crock. Does it make any difference? From the looks of your picture, the meatloaf doesn’t contact the side of the cooker. Is this correct? Going to try this as soon as I hear back from you.

/  January 22, 2014

I am pretty sure mine is 5-6 quarts and the crock is removable as well. No, the meatloaf does not contact the sides at all. Good luck and enjoy!

90. Anonymous

/  January 22, 2014

Thanks for the great tips. I love meat loaf made in the crock pot

91. Anonymous

/  January 22, 2014

Thanks for the great tips.

92. Mary Howard

/  January 22, 2014

I have put the potatoes(foil wrapped) in with a pork loin and also turkey breast, works great.
    I usually just do two potatoes and it still works fine at about 7 hours.

i

• I have been wondering if I could do a turkey breast in the crock pot, and how? How do you do it? Just 2 of us so would do 2 potatoes too.

• Shelia

/  January 26, 2014

I cook turkey breast in mine and it always turns out great, and so moist. I put a sliced onion and a quarter cup or so of water in with mine, salt it well and cook it on low till it’s done. You can also cook it on high if you need it to cook faster. I use a meat thermometer made for the oven to be sure it’s done, but not over done.

93. Anne

/  January 22, 2014

I made this for tea tonight – definite winner!!! I actually put the meatloaf on a sheet of baking paper so that it was easy to get out of the cooker. I also added carrots, wrapt in foil, to cook through. The only down side is that it shrunk a bit, so will make a bigger mixture next time :)

94. Samantha

/  January 23, 2014

You don’t add any milk to the meatloaf?

/  January 23, 2014

I can’t say that I have ever added dairy to my meatloaf. I would be hesitant to cook milk all day…it would probably curdle?

95. patsy tucker

/  January 23, 2014

I haven’t tried the Meatloaf yet but I’m going.to. I’m going to put Catsup on top of mine 1 hour before it gets done. Gota have my CATSUP.

• I’m with you Patsy, however, rather than straight catsup, give this a try! 1/4 cup catsup – 2 Tbsp. brown sugar – 1 tsp. dry mustard. Mix these together really well & top your meatloaf. In a regular oven, I top it during the last 10 minutes. If the quantity isn’t enough, just increase them, keeping to the same proportions. Enjoy!

96. nimssy Chavez

/  January 24, 2014

Looks so easy. Gotta try this.

97. Becky Thomas

/  January 24, 2014

Sounds delicious

98. just found this on facebook–and cant wait to try it out!

99. debra

/  January 25, 2014

I have not had a crock pot for a long time and used to enjoy cooking with the “set it and forget it” for the whole day and have a nice easy supper. HM my birthday is coming up, where’s that hubby of mine!! LOL

100. Michelle

/  January 25, 2014

I had no idea you could cook in the crockpot without water i need more info on this

101. Tammy

/  January 25, 2014

I’ll be trying this soon it sounds great

102. This looks delicious I can’t wait to try,my only question is do u haft to flip it over at anytime?

103. Anonymous

/  January 27, 2014

I use tomato sauce instead of ketchup in and on top. Will that work also instead of ketchup?

104. vicky

/  January 27, 2014

Can I still use tomato sauce instead of ketchup, because I use tomato sause in and on top of meatloaf.

105. busy mom of 3

/  January 28, 2014

If you like ketchup on top of the meatloaf but aren’t sure if it’s ok to do for the crockpot version, try mixing the ketchup into the meatloaf instead. My basic meatloaf recipe is:
    1 lb lean ground beef
    1 egg
    1/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1/2 to 1 cup Italian style bread crumbs
    salt and pepper to taste
    McCormick salt free garlic and herb seasoning blend (1 teaspoon)

106. Mary

/  January 28, 2014

We love meat loaf sandwiches so am wondering if this way of making it will make the meat loaf to flimsy for sandwiches?

107. Anonymous

/  January 29, 2014

Great idea!

108. Looks good…..I’m going to try it, my daughter gave me a crock pot for Christmas but haven’t used it yet…..

109. Turned out awesome!!! Only thing I would say is to make sure you make this with a very lean hamburger!!! :-)

110. Anonymous

/  February 10, 2014

Making it today for the 2nd time – hubby enjoyed it so much the 1st time – I did add some Cajun spice to it.

1. Slow Cooker Extravaganza |